Saturday, October 02, 2004

Daily Prospect Report 10/2

Richie Robnett, OF, Oakland A's
Drafted 26th Overall, 2004 Draft, Fresno State
Bats L/Throws L
21 YO, 5'10", 190 lbs

I mentioned him in my review of Danny Putnam. He's another short college outfielder, who drew walks, hit a bunch, and generally looks like a pretty good example of why teams like Oakland really like college outfielders. Baseball America had a writeup on him in their Northwest League Top Prospects List, where he was rated as the #7 prospect in that league. I'm having a hard time coming to grips with the review that praised his athleticism, but asked for an improvement in his plate discipline. The stats don't bear this out. He hit a respectable .299/.395/.470 with 28 BB's and 43 K's in 164 AB. The strikeout rate is a little higher than one would like to see, but the walk rate mutes that a bit. I guess such a review is enough to temper my enthusiasm a bit, and make me anxious to see what happens next season when he surely will start in Lo-A, where pitchers will be a little better.

ETA: Late 2006
3 Stars



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?