Tuesday, October 05, 2004

Playoff Thoughts

I'll just make some notes from time to time during the playoffs.

-First off, I'll mention who I'm rooting for. In the abscence of the Royals in the playoffs, and the fact that the A's aren't in it either, I'm rooting for the Twins and Cards to get in the series, and the Cards to win the championship. There are two reasons behind this. The first is that I'm a partisan for the midwest. A St Louis/Minnesota World Series is the worst nightmare of MLB and Fox when it comes to ratings, but I think that market size is overrated when it comes to playoff matchups. If the playoffs are compelling, and the play is good, the ratings will be there.

The second reason is because I genuinely am a fan of a lot of the players on each of those teams. I like Scott Rolen, Edgar Renteria, Reggie Sanders, Kiko Calero, Johan Santana, Justin Morneau, Michael Cuddyer, Matt LeCroy, Joe Nathan, and Albert Pujols.

-One thing that surprised me this year was the performance of Brad Radke, who put up a great year. He cut a full run off of his ERA, boosted his K rate, and only allowed opposing hitters to bat .265/.288/.395. I admit. I didn't see it coming at all.

-In game 1, the Cards are really taking it to the Dodgers, leading 8-2 at the end of the 7th, courtesy of 5 home runs. Theoretically, they could do this to the Dodgers all series with the Dodgers rotation being as torn up as it is.



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?