Friday, November 12, 2004

AL Cy Young Analysis

Whew! That was a relief. I was worried that I was going to have to write a downright acidic diatribe calling for mass murder of award voters. Maybe these writers are smarter than I give them credit for.

Curt Schilling had a great season, but it pales in comparison to the season that Johan Santana treated us to. The numbers leap off the page, or the monitor if you're like me and do your research online. 228 innings, a 2.61 ERA, 265 K's, 54 walks, 156 hits allowed, a 182 ERA+. He was freakishly good.

Further down the ballot, if I would have come to you a year ago and told you that Joe Nathan would get a third place vote in the Cy Young race, you probably would have had me committed or maybe taken away my car keys. It may have been in only 70 innings, but a 292 ERA+ is enough to make you do the John Stewart "WHAAA?" and rub your eyes gesture.

We'll have to wait for monday and tuesday to find out who wins the MVP awards.



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?